Frequently asked questions (FAQ) about the application
1. I use English in both research and teaching and publish in English. However, I do not have explicit language credentials for this. Can I still apply?
Yes, an English language certificate is not necessary in this case. In individual cases, the URIS Scientific Advisory Board may contact you again to make a final decision.
2. I am in the final stages of my PhD and plan to complete my PhD in the near future. Can I apply without having a PhD?
Yes and no. You can apply if you have completed either your dissertation or thesis disputation by the time you start your six-month fellowship. Thus, if you are applying for the fellowship of the fall semester 2022, you must have completed your PhD by the end of July 2022 at the latest (for the fellowship in the spring semester 2023 by the end of January). Without a completed PhD at this time, you will not be able to apply.
3. Do I also need to send a hard copy of the application materials by November 20?
No. We are moving with the times and only require a digital application via firstname.lastname@example.org
4. What exactly is meant by „title and summary of research project“?
This refers to the project you want to pursue in Basel (which may also be a project you are currently working on). Our previous fellows have worked for example on their book manuscripts, single book chapters or on smaller or larger publications and projects. Since URIS is a research project to foster Ukrainian expertise in Switzerland, the project must be connected to Ukrainian issues or has a focus on Ukrainian studies.
5. Is it possible to apply without university affiliation? (Is it worth it?)
Yes and absolutely yes.
Contact for any queries
URIS Academic Coordinator
University of Basel, Department of History